Friday, November 17, 2023

Friday Fun Fact: Making a Mockup

Hey it's Elizabeth, and today we're talking about making a muslin mockup.

Some sewists just call it a muslin, others a mockup, but either way, it's a basic test version of your garment used to check fit.

Mockups are basic, made of cheap fabric, and are never meant to be made into completed garments. Use old sheets, thrifted fabric, or any basic, stable woven. Machine sew them together, and don't bother with seam finishes, hems, facings, pockets, or tidy details.

You'll try the mockup on and see where changes to the fit could be made. Often this involves pinning, cutting, and drawing on the fabric. My favorite thing to do is take pictures - it's so much easier to analyze the pics than just look in the mirror!

When everything looks good, you'll transfer the changes to your paper pattern.

I am often asked about when a mockup is necessary, or whether I make one for every single garment I sew.

I personally make mockups for about 80% of my projects. I'll skip one if my project is made from a knit or if it's very loose-fitting, such as pajama pants.

I'll also do a mockup if I'm not sure about the style of the finished garment and want to check it out before I commit to sewing.

Want to know more? Michele and I will cover tons of common pattern adjustments in our Fitting Starts Here class! 

Check out all our Friday Fun Facts in the archive here!

No comments:

Post a Comment