Friday, July 21, 2023

Friday Fun Fact: We're taking machines apart!

Hey everyone, it's me Elizabeth, and this week Grace and I are away at sewing machine repair camp! I'm writing to you from the road!*

Last January we signed up for a 4-day intensive workshop on how to repair sewing machines. On Monday this week, we packed 11 sewing machines into Grace's car and drove to Ohio for our class. (Road trip!! Woo!)

It's been a lot so far! We have taken machines apart, learned about tension, timing, cleaning, oiling, replacing parts, and so much more. And then of course, struggled to put the machines back together again.

We are taking copious amounts of notes, asking LOTS of questions, and getting our hands very dirty!

Disassembling machines is very fun, and cleaning them out is super satisfying, but Grace and I are also interested in practical repair knowledge.

Does this mean we'll offer sewing machine repair at Treadle?!?!

Slow down there, friend. We still have a lot to learn and a lot of practice to do!

I do think this will help me as a sewing teacher and general advice-giver. When you're in class with me I am always happy to troubleshoot your machine, and now I'll be armed with a lot more knowledge and experience.

We might consider a basic class on just taking your machine apart, cleaning, and oiling in the future, for all you DIY minded folks. Let us know if that's a class you'd enjoy taking!

We miss Minnesota but we'll be home soon! Can't wait to see you all!

Check out all our Friday Fun Facts in the archive here!

*but not literally from the road, because I get carsick. And there's no wifi.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I would love to take a class from you about this topic.

    ReplyDelete