Friday, October 21, 2022

Friday Fun Fact: Cheap Toy Sewing Machines and Why We Don't Like Them

Okay folks it's me Elizabeth here as usual. I have been told that the best Friday Fun Facts are the ones where I just do a sewing-related rant about my pet peeves. Weird, but okay. You asked and you shall receive!

The thing I'm mad about today is cheap toy sewing machines. They are simply not worth your time, energy, or money.



I know we can't all afford a fancy expensive machine, and that's okay! You don't need the most expensive sewing machine out there to do good sewing.



But a sewing machine that works is going to cost more than twenty bucks.

When people bring these machines into the shop, they've already bought them, and I don't have the heart to tell them they wasted their money.

But I'll tell you now: most of these little, cheap machines are absolute garbage.



Here are a few things to watch out for:

- Mini size

- No stitch selector

- No length/width adjuster

- Runs on batteries

- Handheld

- Advertised specifically "for kids"




Sometimes these machines will work for a little while, but they are absolutely not designed to last. Sometimes they just don't work at all!




If you feel you need to buy a machine online, read some reviews. Online retailers often have thousands of reviews for a product, and you can also check out the online sewing community Pattern Review!

Click here to visit the sewing machine reviews at the Pattern Review website!

I would really, really love to be able to recommend the one true perfect machine, but unfortunately it's just not that simple.

There are a lot of variables that go into sewing machine choice. I'd be happy to share my sewing machine buying tips in a future Fun Fact!

For now, please just save your money, time, and frustration and avoid cheap fake machines. 

Like our Friday Fun Facts? See them all here at the blog!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to add that the easiest way to turn someone off of sewing is by allowing them to learn on a toy sewing machine. If the experience is frustrating, they won't continue. Buy a good machine, you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Fighting with a crappy machine doesn't make sewing fun.

      Delete
  2. I've seen them come into repair being non fixable.

    ReplyDelete